Newtown High School offers opportunities for students to take online courses from the Virtual High School.
Students can select from hundreds of offerings each semester.
VHS Mission Statement
The mission of Virtual High School is to develop and deliver standards-based, student-centered online courses to expand students' educational opportunities and 21st century skills and to offer professional development to teachers to expand the scope and depth of their instructional skills.
· VHS believes that student-centered online course can be designed and delivered to students to promote a high quality collaborative learning environment in which student exchange and interaction is a valued component of the instructional process.
· VHS believes . Online education offers any school with Internet connectivity a wealth of trained, experienced faculty members qualified in numerous disciplines to teach a wide array of courses designed to meet the needs of all students. An innovative, standards-based curriculum delivered online offers diverse, exciting learning choices for students and the opportunity and skills to participate in a national and global community.
· VHS believes that online teaching should augment, rather than replace, traditional classroom teaching. The Virtual High School's online courses are a proven, flexible solution for schools needing an expanded curriculum, teachers seeking new horizons, parents wanting more involvement with their children's education, and a society grappling with ways to offer opportunity to all its citizens.
· VHS believes that the goals of education are advanced best by putting value and service first. When schools work together in a collaborative network, such as VHS, they become part of an abundant and generous educational community that promotes the affordable sharing of professional resources.
Enrollment for the 2019-20 school years ends September 5th. Calendar.
· Virtual High School online courses are considered transfer credit. Before a student can enroll in a course the student must fill out the Approval form with their Counselor and submit it to Jennifer Arnold in the Continuing Ed Office.